- U.S. District Court of Nebraska
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, B.A.
- Creighton University School of Law, J.D. (cum laude)
Kaylen Akert joined Woods Aitken in 2015 after clerking at the firm for two years and is a partner in the firm’s transactional group. Her practice areas include business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, banking, real estate matters, estate planning, and estate (probate) administration.
She regularly assists clients with a variety of corporate issues, ranging from the initial formation of a business, to contract drafting and negotiating, to issues of corporate governance and best practices. She has experience counseling clients on significant corporate events such as entity reorganizations, stock purchase agreements, or asset purchase agreements. Kaylen prides herself on helping clients navigate the different legal issues that can arise throughout the life of a business.
As a part of her real estate practice, Kaylen routinely represents clients buying, selling, or leasing commercial properties. Kaylen also assists landlords and property managers in landlord-tenant matters. In connection with her passion for real estate, she serves on the boards of the Lincoln Historic Haymarket and Downtown Lincoln Association.
In the estate planning process, Kaylen seeks to help clients achieve peace of mind by knowing their family and business are prepared for future generations. In the estate or trust administration process, she works with personal representatives and trustees to manage estate or trust assets, appreciative that it can be a sensitive time for each family.
Kaylen also has experience advising clients on creditor’s rights, remedies, and security interests.
Kaylen received her J.D., cum laude, from Creighton University School of Law. During law school, she was president of the Student Bar Association, senior lead articles editor for the Creighton Law Review, a member of the Moot Court Board, and received multiple CALI Excellence for the Future Awards. Kaylen received her B.A. from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where she majored in English and History.
Although primarily located in Woods Aitken’s Lincoln office, Kaylen does spend time in the Omaha office on a weekly basis to further assist clients.
- 100's of Women Who Care
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Omaha Metro Chapter
- Creighton Law Young Law Alumni Council
- Downtown Lincoln Association
- Downtown Lincoln Master Plan 2018 Project Committee
- Innovating Commerce Serving Communities (ICSC)
- Lincoln Haymarket Development Corporation
- Leadership Lincoln Fellows Class XXXIII
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- RISE Lincoln
- 2024 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® recognitions for Banking and Finance Law, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), and Real Estate Law
- 2023 Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star: Business/Corporate, Real Estate, Estate Planning & Probate
- Nebraska State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2021), The Impact of COVID on Commercial Leasing
- Certified Commercial Investment Members (CCIM) (2021), Commercial Real Estate Purchase Agreements
- Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) (2020): Commercial Leasing
- Certified Commercial Investment Members (CCIM) (2020), Commercial Real Estate Lease Agreements
- Nebraska State Bar Association Real Estate Institute (2019), eNotarization: Technology & Trends
- Annual Nebraska Growers and Brewers Conference (2018), Growing and Brewing Gone Bad
- University of Nebraska-Omaha Rho Epsilon (2017), Panelist
News & Insights
Beyond the Law
Outside of the office, Kaylen enjoys acting as sous-chef when cooking with her husband, Brandon.